Wednesday 28 April 2010

Sci-Fi Fatigue

The bastard offspring of The Speculative Scotsman and Walker of Worlds says hello - that is, before burbling at length about the dearth of fresh new ideas in science fiction. But I'm getting ahead of myself.


It gives me great pleasure to tell you all that today, I'm the featured guest author on at Mark Chitty's excellent blog. The gent was kind enough to invite me, not to mention a who's-who of excellent writers from across the blogosphere, to contribute an article as part of the Sci-Fi Appreciation Month, and what did I go and write for him? Why, some grouching, of course. What else? Here's a link to the piece:


By all means, do pop on over to Walker of Worlds and share your thoughts, all. I'd be interested to hear if it's just me that's tired of AI and FTL drives...

And for those of you wondering where all the sci-fi coverage is on this here blog, well... stay tuned. I'll be reposting Sci-Fi Fatigue on TSS at a later date, I think, with deleted scenes and everything - a director's cut of the article, as it were - and I've already scheduled some reviews for May that should soundly answer that question.

So. Who among you has binged, as I did, on one particular genre for so long that the experience damn near sickened you off it?

1 comment:

  1. "So. Who among you has binged, as I did, on one particular genre for so long that the experience damn near sickened you off it?"

    Epic/High/Traditional Fantasy, whatever you want to call it. A little over six years ago I was introduced to fantasy through the works of R.A. Salvatore and things sort of progressed from there. Until about a year and half ago I was reading pretty much only epicly high traditional fantasy. Thing is, I never realized how tired of it I was until I spent some time away from them, reading other books. Of course, I never stopped to think that my being tired of them might have been the reason I started looking for other things to read...

    Your AI and FTL drives are my Elves and Dragons, generally things that will put me off a book at the summary.

    ReplyDelete